Independent Press Standards Organization
- Homepage: https://www.ipso.co.uk/
"What is IPSO?
The Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) is the independent regulator for the newspaper and magazine industry in the UK. We hold newspapers and magazines to account for their actions, protect individual rights, uphold high standards of journalism and help to maintain freedom of expression for the press.
What does IPSO do?
- We make sure that member newspapers and magazines follow the Editors' Code.
- We investigate complaints about printed and online material that may breach the Editors’ Code.
- We can make newspapers and magazines publish corrections or adjudications if they breach the Editors’ Code (including on their front page).
- We monitor press standards and require member newspapers and magazines to submit an annual statement about how they follow the Editors’ Code and handle any complaints.
- We can investigate serious standards failings and can fine publishers up to £1 million in cases where they are particularly serious and systemic.
- We operate a 24-hour anti-harassment advice line.
- We provide advice for editors and journalists.
- We provide training and guidance for journalists so they can uphold the highest possible standards.
- We provide a "Whistleblowing Helpline" for journalists who feel they are being pressured to act in a way that is not in line with the Editors' Code.
- We work with charities, NGOs and other organisations to support and improve press standards."
July 2016: 'The Independent Press Standards Organization in Britain issued several rulings for inaccuracy — including one for the headline “Queen Backs Brexit,” which ran in The Sun. But the partisan press climate meant all facts were up for debate. Nothing could stand out as Platonic truth.'http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/business/media/fair-play-in-a-fact-challenged-political-landscape
Role Name Type Last Updated
Articles and Resources
Date Fairness.com Resource Read it at: Jul 03, 2016 Fair Play in a Fact-Challenged Political Landscape (Mediator)
QUOTE: Mr. Lewandowski’s hiring represents a signal moment in political journalism’s evolving embrace of political operatives: A major mainstream news organization is using a commentator who is legally prohibited from sharing the unvarnished truth on the subject — Mr. Trump — he was hired to talk about.
New York Times
- Arts & Humanities
- Businesses & Organizations
- Computers & Information Technology
- Family & Friends & Interpersonal
- Government & Politics / History
- Health & Medicine
- Law & Justice
- Media & Journalism
- Personal Finance & Career
- Philosophy & Religion
- Recreation & Entertainment
- Science & Technology
- Social Sciences & Groups
- Arctic / Antarctic / Greenland
- Central America / Caribbean
- Eurasia / Central Asia
- Middle East
- North America
- Oceania / AustralAsia
- South America
- About Fairness.com
- Contact Us
- Conditions of Service
- Fair Use Notice
- Advisory Board
Not a current user? Sign up!